This is the flag of the Missions to Seamen, commonly known as the 'Flying Angel'. The first Mission to Seamen in New Zealand opened in Wellington in 1898, when the Reverend James Moore arrived in the city after many years working with the mission in England. In 2010 there were Missions to Seamen in seven New Zealand ports, and more than 300 throughout the world, providing social facilities and interdenominational church services. The organisation changed its name to the Missions to Seafarers in 2000.
Using this item
Museum of Wellington City and Sea
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.