The seal introduced in 1852 was designed by Benjamin Wyon and was in use until 1881. It features a churchman on the left and a Māori chief on the right, separated by a cross and scales, representing justice. Above them is the British coat of arms.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.