The Government Buildings in Wellington, completed in 1876, were built mainly of kauri in a style resembling an Italian stone palace. In the early 1990s the buildings were totally renovated. More than 500 cubic metres of recycled kauri were used to supplement existing timber. Among the most impressive features were the staircases, which have been restored and strengthened.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Alastair McLean
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.