This corrugated-iron hut has 12 bunks. It was built between 1929 and 1931 on the south-west face of Chancellor Ridge, over 200 metres above Fox Glacier. Materials were carried up by hand, and the hut was built on site. The oldest alpine hut in New Zealand still on its original site, it has a category two rating on the Heritage New Zealand list. The smaller structure is the toilet.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Paddy Driver
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.