Christ’s College, a fee-paying school for boys, was founded by the Canterbury Association in Lyttelton in 1850. It was modelled on famous English public schools such as Eton, and acquired a high reputation, attracting pupils from around New Zealand. Among the beautiful buildings on the site adjacent to Hagley Park to which it moved in 1856 is the first stone schoolhouse. It is now known as the Big School.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.