Chaffey Hut is built of hand-sawn red beech, with a corrugated iron roof. It is no longer maintained. The hut took its name from Chaffey Stream, named after Henry Chaffey, who led a reclusive life in nearby Asbestos Cottage with his wife Annie from around 1914. The hut was built a year after Chaffey’s death in 1953 by forest ranger Jack McBurney.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.