This is Boatshed Hut, on the Milford Track. By 1889, a hut called Poseidon had been built on the site out of split beech logs. In the early 1890s, prisoners were stationed there, and worked to improve the track. Boatshed Hut used to have rowboats that ferried Milford Track walkers across the Arthur River. A swingbridge was built in 1969.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Chris Rudge
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.