Canterbury College’s professor of biology Charles Chilton (rear) stands with women students on the verandah of the Cass Biological Station, some time in the 1920s. The research station was largely the idea of botanist Leonard Cockayne, who felt that it would prove invaluable to students. The building was completed in 1914. The botany of the surrounding area has been intensively studied and a number of new species described.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.