In 1851 George Rhodes and his brothers William and Robert established the Levels, South Canterbury’s first pastoral run. George and his wife Elizabeth (seen here) built and lived in this two-roomed, 9- by 3-metre cottage. It had slab walls, a thatched roof, and a clay floor. The cottage was restored in 1951 and now stands on a private historic reserve.
Using this item
South Canterbury Museum
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.