Story: South Canterbury region

Te Waimate cuddy

Te Waimate cuddy

This dwelling was built in 1854 for Michael Studholme, owner of Te Waimate Station. It has tōtara walls and a thatched roof, and is lined with wattle and daub. The chimney is made of sun-dried bricks (adobe). Known as 'The Cuddy', the dwelling has been well maintained and is still owned by the Studholme family.

Using this item

Heritage New Zealand – Pouhere Taonga

Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'South Canterbury region - Early European history', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 20 January 2022)

Story by John Wilson, updated 1 Feb 2017