The bridging of South Canterbury’s wide, braided rivers made travel easier and faster. Initially the bridges carried both rail and vehicular traffic. This car crossing the 2-kilometre Waitaki Bridge, around 1914, is heading for Glenavy. The elevated structure houses water tanks, in case of fire on the bridge.
Using this item
South Canterbury Museum
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.