Peel Forest is one of the last remnants of lowland podocarp forest in South Canterbury. This 1900 photo shows stands of tōtara, mataī, and kahikatea. In 1909 the Crown set aside 94 hectares of the forest as a scenic reserve. It now comprises 773 hectares and is a popular camping and day visitor destination.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.