In the 19th century the Waimate district became home to a relatively high number of Irish Catholics. St Patrick’s Basilica was built in 1908–9 to a design by Francis Petre, replacing a previous church of the same name. In the handsome brick building are three Belgian-cast bells and a fine pipe organ.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence