This plaque is at the Whakapapa Visitor Centre in Tongariro National Park. It records the 'gift' to the nation by Horonuku Te Heuheu in 1887 of the lands which now form the park. In fact his understanding was that Ngāti Tūwharetoa and the Crown would become joint custodians of the three volcanic peaks.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Les Molloy
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.