Story: Wairarapa places

Ballance cooperative dairy factory

Ballance cooperative dairy factory

The Ballance Dairy Co-operative was established in 1895 by local farmers, who held shares in proportion to the amount of butterfat each supplied. In 1913 the company began producing cheese, which was more lucrative than butter. By 1915 the factory was making 19 export cheeses a day, each weighing 38 kilograms. The co-op also had four creameries and a factory at Konini (south-west of Pahīatua), seen here in 1910. The company closed in 1936.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, F. G. Radcliffe Collection (PAColl-4950)
Reference: 1/2-005810; G
Photograph by Frederick George Radcliffe

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Wairarapa places - Pahīatua', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/11973/ballance-cooperative-dairy-factory (accessed 13 December 2019)

Story by Ben Schrader, updated 11 Jun 2015