The Aotea meeting house (front) and Te Waipounamu buildings were erected for the Kotahitanga (Māori parliament) which sat at Pāpāwai marae for two sessions in 1897 and 1898. The form of Aotea evokes a traditional Māori meeting house, with a gabled roofline and deep entrance porch. The buildings were damaged in a storm in 1934 and later demolished.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.