This spectacular incline was built in 1921 at Kauaeranga, Coromandel, for the Kauri Timber Company. It dropped 290 metres over 1,160 metres of track, and the real challenge was to prevent the loads getting out of control. A steam winch at the top was fitted with water brakes, with band brakes in reserve. From the foot of the incline the kauri logs went on a 21-kilometre rail tram journey, and then were placed on a raft to float 80 kilometres to Auckland. The incline closed in 1926.
Using this item
The Kauri Museum, Matakohe, Tudor Collins Collection
Photograph by Tudor Collins
Permission must be obtained from The Kauri Museum before this image is stored, reproduced, or altered in any form for any purpose.