Christchurch’s port of Lyttelton had a quarantine station – at first on Rīpapa Island and then from 1875 on Ōtamahua (Quail Island). The hospital is the large, two-storey building in this 1911 photograph. To the left among the trees are huts that were occupied by leper patients.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 2, IMG0090
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.