A crowd attends the 1936 opening of the Paremata road bridge, with clouds of steam from a train on the nearby rail bridge. Before this, road traffic had to travel around the inlet to Pāuatahanui and north to Kāpiti through the Horokiri Valley and over the Paekākāriki Hill. The new bridge and the electrification of the railway shortened the journey from Wellington and boosted settlement in the area. In 2004 the road bridge was widened to handle increased traffic.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.