This avenue of huge plane trees was planted in 1865 by the Gibbs family, early settlers at Tōtaranui, which is now part of Abel Tasman National Park. These trees are the parent stock of all the plane trees along Nelson’s city streets. They were planted to provide a ‘dash of home’.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.