Story: Volcanic Plateau places

Bath House opening

Bath House opening

The Bath House building, designed to put Rotorua on the international spa map, was opened on 13 August 1908 by the Prime Minister, Joseph Ward. The opening, which included a significant Māori element, was timed to coincide with the visit of a US naval fleet to Auckland. Many of the sailors attended, along with locals.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-037576; F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Volcanic Plateau places - Rotorua city', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/15023/bath-house-opening (accessed 17 October 2021)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 25 May 2015