Story: Volcanic Plateau places

The Blue Baths

The Blue Baths

The Blue Baths were opened in 1932 and introduced mixed bathing to Rotorua, a response to the more liberal social mores after the First World War. This photograph was probably taken in the 1930s. Closed in 1982, the building was restored and reopened in 1999. It is one of Rotorua’s most popular attractions – the baths are in use again, and there are historical displays and function rooms.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-154801; F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Volcanic Plateau places - Rotorua city', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/15026/the-blue-baths (accessed 17 October 2021)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 25 May 2015