This memorial gateway to the Māori village and geothermal area of Whakarewarewa commemorates Tūhourangi soldiers who lost their lives in the two world wars. ‘Te Hokowhitu-a-Tū’ (the 140 warriors of the war god) was the motto of Māori who served in the wars – the Maori Contingent which fought at Gallipoli in the First World War, its successor the Māori (Pioneer) Battalion, and the Māori Battalion of the Second World War. The memorial was unveiled in April 1950.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.