Wairākei power station – New Zealand’s first, and still its largest, geothermal power station – was commissioned between 1958 and 1963. It is powered by steam from the Wairākei geothermal field, piped along the valley and across State Highway 1.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.