Thermal activity on the Waipāhīhī Stream, a short distance from the Taupō lakefront, provided the raison d’être for this Māori settlement and cultivations. The Terraces Hotel (later De Brett’s), which opened in 1889, was built on the cliffs to the right. Patrons descended into the valley to bathe in the hot water.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.