This boundary keeper’s hut was built in 1860–61 in the Stony Creek valley, the boundary between the Grampian Hills, Haldon and Black Forest stations. The hut’s first occupant was a kilt-wearing Scottish Highlander, John McRae, who kept the back boundary on the Grampians. John McGregor, another boundary keeper on the station, recalled later that he had to go round his sheep every day. If he was still in the hut at 4 a.m. he considered that he had slept in.
Using this item
Photograph by Geoffrey Thornton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.