The Hurunui rabbit fence was built in 1889 to protect the district south of the Hurunui River against rabbits from Marlborough and Kaikōura. This section is still used as a farm fence. It has a nine-inch ‘verandah’ on the northern side, built to stop swarming rabbits piling up against the netting and climbing over the top.
Using this item
Photograph by John Harper
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.