Europeans began farming on Motutapu in 1840 when the Māori owners sold part of the island. In 1857 the Auckland businessman Robert Graham bought the island and converted most of it into pasture. It became a popular picnicking and hunting destination. In 1869 Motutapu was sold to the Reid brothers, who introduced emu, deer, buffaloes, ostriches, wallabies and ducks. Their homestead at Home Bay survives and in 2007 was being restored.
Using this item
Motutapu Restoration Trust
Photograph by Bridget Winstone
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.