Story: Auckland places

Motukorea

Motukorea

Motukorea is Auckland’s most intact volcano. It is also known as Brown’s Island after William Brown, who bought it in 1840. In 1955 the owner, Sir Ernest Davis, donated the island to Auckland city.

Using this item

GNS Science
Reference: CN18671/31
Photograph by Lloyd Homer

Permission of GNS Science must be obtained before any use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Margaret McClure, 'Auckland places - Gulf islands', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/16088/motukorea (accessed 8 August 2020)

Story by Margaret McClure, updated 5 Aug 2016