Workers building the Auckland harbour bridge take a break high above the Waitematā Harbour. Opened in 1959, the bridge halved cross-harbour travel times, leading to rapid growth on the North Shore. But it soon became congested and in 1969 four new lanes were added. Designed and prefabricated in Japan, they were nicknamed the ‘Nippon clip-ons’.
Using this item
Permission of the New Zealand Herald must be obtained before any re-use of this image.