Auckland Zoo opened in Western Springs in 1922, after taking over the animals of a private zoo in Onehunga. It increased its collection by asking business people to bring back animals from overseas trips. In 1973 the elephant Kashin was bought with funds provided by a local bank. The bank distributes Kashin piggy banks to young savers.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.