At Ōkahu Bay, boys watch the burning of their homes, which were part of Ngāti Whātua’s last Auckland settlement. The government had eyed the area for housing since the 1920s and in 1951 it forcibly bought the land from the tribe. The new owners considered the settlement a slum and razed it to the ground. The site then became a park.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.