In 1892 the government agreed to buy the Cheviot Hills Station from the estate of William Robinson and subdivide it into smaller farms. The dispersal sale was held over three days in 1893, conducted by three stock firms – Miles & Co., Pyne & Co., and the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Co. Pyne later merged with Gould, Beaumont & Co. and the Timaru firm Guinness & Le Cren to form Pyne Gould Guinness. These are the sheep pens at the Cheviot Hills sale.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: P. G. Stevens, Pyne, Gould, Guinness Ltd.: the jubilee history, 1919-1969. Christchurch: Pyne, Gould, Guinness Ltd., 1970.
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.