South Canterbury and North Otago have been important grain-growing regions since the 1870s. This mill was built in Timaru in 1882 to turn locally grown wheat into flour. The grain was lifted to the top of the building and was then fed into a series of roller mills as it descended to the lower floor. On the ground floor the flour was sifted and bagged.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence