A large number of horses and some carts wait outside the home of the chief Tāreha Te Moananui at Waiohiki, Hawke’s Bay, in the 1860s. By that time, horses were common among Māori in the area. The missionary William Colenso noted that within a few years of seeing a horse led from Rotorua to Clive in 1847, every Hawke’s Bay Māori who could afford to had bought one.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.