When it opened in 1888 Auckland Art Gallery (at the right of the photograph) was described as ‘the first permanent Art Gallery in the Dominion’. By the mid-20th century, however, storage space was at a premium and it was clear that the gallery would eventually need to be expanded. In 1995 a new gallery opened in a converted telephone exchange building across the road. By 2004 there were plans for a redevelopment of the main gallery, which will involve seismic strengthening and improvements to the design of the interior.
Using this item
Access Community Radio
Photograph by Bill McNicoll
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.