Story: Farm buildings

Ōrari Gorge Station smithy

Ōrari Gorge Station smithy

Because of the importance of horses on 19th-century farms, a blacksmith’s shop or smithy was often necessary. The Ōrari Gorge smithy was built in 1866–67 and features a raised vent on the apex of the roof to let out the smoke and steam. The smithy is one of five surviving farm buildings along with a cadet building, a futtah (whata), a saddlery and stables. Ōrari Gorge was part of land leased by Charles Tripp and John Acland in the Canterbury high country in 1855. In 1861 the partnership was dissolved, and Ōrari Gorge Station has remained in the Tripp family ever since.

Using this item

Heritage New Zealand – Pouhere Taonga

Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Robert Peden, 'Farm buildings - Early station buildings', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/18518/orari-gorge-station-smithy (accessed 15 December 2019)

Story by Robert Peden, published 24 Nov 2008