Story: Rural services

Kaūpokonui dairy factory

Kaūpokonui dairy factory

The Kaūpokonui Dairy Co-operative in Taranaki generated its own electricity from 1900. Water from the nearby Kaūpokonui Stream powered two turbines and generators. In this photograph of the factory, taken about 1910, power lines can be seen above the building on the left. Taranaki, a major dairying area, was one of the first regions to make wide use of electricity for agricultural purposes.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Agriculture Department Collection
Reference: 1/1-007671; G

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Rural services - Electricity', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/18554/kaupokonui-dairy-factory (accessed 7 December 2019)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, published 24 Nov 2008