A futtah or whata (raised storehouse) stands between the homestead (right) and another dwelling on Mesopotamia Station in South Canterbury in 1871. Māori used whata to protect food from rodents. European settlers followed their example, and adopted their word, spelling it as futtah.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.