Story: Gardens

Truby King garden, 1943

Truby King garden, 1943

The Truby King garden is located on a windswept hill in Melrose, above Wellington Harbour. Established in the 1920s by Frederick Truby King, it features rhododendrons and conifers, as well as elaborate brick paths, walls and pergolas. The garden is now maintained by Wellington City Council. The steps in the centre of the photograph lead to Truby King's mausoleum.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, John Dobrée Pascoe Collection (PAColl-0783)
Reference: 1/4-000437; F
Photograph by John Dobrée Pascoe

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Maggy Wassilieff, 'Gardens - Estate and homestead gardens', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/18869/truby-king-garden-1943 (accessed 17 September 2021)

Story by Maggy Wassilieff, published 24 Nov 2008