Whanganui’s opera house, built in 1899, is New Zealand’s oldest municipal opera house. It was opened by premier Richard John Seddon in 1900, and the first performance was the show Sporting life. Renovated in the 1990s, it was renamed the Royal Wanganui Opera House as part of the centennial celebrations in 1999. The ‘h’ was added in 2021.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.