Story: Whanganui region

Whanganui town bridge, around 1904 (1st of 2)

Whanganui town bridge, around 1904

From its opening in 1871, Whanganui’s town bridge was the main link to its hinterland in the south-east. These wagons loaded with wool bales are lining up to cross to the town and the riverside wharves, from which the wool would be shipped overseas.

Using this item

Whanganui Regional Museum
Reference: W/TB/107

Permission of the Whanganui Regional Museum must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Diana Beaglehole, 'Whanganui region - Forging a region, 1870s–1920s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/19035/whanganui-town-bridge-around-1904 (accessed 27 February 2020)

Story by Diana Beaglehole, updated 1 Jun 2015