The Waimarie paddle steamer operated on the Whanganui River as far as Pipiriki from 1902 to 1949. It later sank and filled with silt. Salvaged in 1993, it was restored, and since 2000 has run between Whanganui and Ūpokongaro, 13 kilometres upriver. The smaller Wairua operated between Pipiriki and Maraekōwhai from 1904 to 1938. It was also salvaged, and restoration began in 1987. Since 2006 it has made runs to Hīpango Park, 25 kilometres upriver from Whanganui.
Using this item
Flickr: mEyegallery's photostream
Photograph by Mark Beatty
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.