Story: Whanganui region

The no. 12 tram (2nd of 2)

The no. 12 tram

This tram, which is believed to have run between the city centre and Castlecliff from 1912 to 1949, was restored by an Auckland society of volunteers at the initiative of David Harre. The refurbished vehicle was gifted to the people of Whanganui in 2005 and is now cared for by the Tramways Wanganui Trust, which offers regular tram rides.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Janine Faulknor

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Diana Beaglehole, 'Whanganui region - Fighting stagnation, 1970s and beyond', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/19057/the-no-12-tram (accessed 21 February 2020)

Story by Diana Beaglehole, updated 1 Jun 2015