This impressive war canoe, Te Mata o Hoturoa, is displayed at Whanganui Regional Museum. The tōtara hull came from a tree near the confluence of the Whanganui and Whakapapa rivers, and was built by 1810. Later owned by Hoani Wiremu Hīpango and his people at Pūtiki, the canoe was gifted to the museum in 1924. It was subsequently rebuilt extensively.
Using this item
Whanganui Regional Museum
Reference: LMA 006
Photograph by Leigh Mitchell-Anyon
Permission of the Whanganui Regional Museum must be obtained before any re-use of this image.