The opening of the Kaponga post office is celebrated with fancy dress in May 1903. The community had cause for celebration. In 1900 there was a site set aside for the post office, but it was occupied by a dilapidated cowshed. When Postmaster General Joseph Ward visited in 1902, he received a deputation of locals. Within 15 months this ‘showy little building’, as the local newspaper described it, was opened.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.