In Ōtaki, as in many country towns, the most prominent building on the main street was a bank. In this case it was built by the Bank of New Zealand in 1918. When the bank no longer needed such a grand building, it was taken over by the district council. The Otaki Heritage Bank Preservation Trust was established in 2003. It restored the elegant staircase and timber panelling inside, and the building has a new life as a museum for the Ōtaki community. Giving a new purpose to abandoned bank buildings has occurred in many country towns in New Zealand.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence