Story: Country towns

Utuwai school

Utuwai school

Schools for rural children were usually among the first buildings in country townships. From 1877 attendance at primary school was compulsory. These pupils, all clothed in smart garb including caps and berets, stand outside their schoolhouse at Utuwai, near Āpiti in northern Manawatū, in 1903.

Using this item

Palmerston North City Library
Reference: 2007N_Poh61_RTL_0863
Photograph by P. J. Christensen

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Jock Phillips, 'Country towns - Social life, 1870–1920', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/19404/utuwai-school (accessed 12 April 2021)

Story by Jock Phillips, published 24 Nov 2008