The Motueka Tobacco Research Station was established in 1938. Its research programme was organised in conjunction with the Cawthron Institute and the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. Over the next 20 years, results led to increases in both productivity and the area in production. In this trial, some seed heads have been covered by bags to collect seed. The tall tobacco drying kilns can be seen in the background.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.