The establishment of a Plant Research Station in Palmerston North in 1928 focused research on the improvement of pasture plants. White clover was an early priority because of its ability to fix nitrogen and make it available for associated grass growth. These men studying the white clover research plot in 1929 are, from left, A. H. Cockayne (director), E. B. Levy (grassland scientist), and J. W. Dean and W. Davies from the Welsh Plant Breeding Station in Aberystwyth.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.